City Botanic Gardens
The City Botanic Gardens were not only the site for Brisbane’s original botanic gardens, they were the site of the colony’s first farm, with the soils relentlessly toiled by convicts. For thousands of years before that, they were an important meeting place for local Aboriginal people who were of course the first to recognise the richness of the natural food supply.
The City Botanic Gardens were officially established in 1855 with the appointment of the first superintendent, Walter Hill. At this time, the Gardens were used as an experimental farm and educational establishment. Hill was responsible for introducing to Queensland mangoes, pineapples, paw paws, custard apples, sugar cane, tobacco, ginger, coffee and many types of nuts and grape vines.