Moreton Island Lighthouse
Moreton Island, Moreton Island, Queensland 4004
Moreton Island Lighthouse was the first lighthouse built in Queensland. The tower is built on a rare rocky promontory on a sand island and is constructed of sandstone quarried on Moreton Island.
The lighthouse was built to cope with increased shipping movements along the northern coast and for a long time was the only light on the entire east coast of Australia. The large number of wrecks scattered around the entrance to Moreton Bay, near the island, attest to the need for the light.
The original light source oil wick which was converted to pressurised acetylene gas in1930 then to 240 volt electricity in 1937 and finally to solar power in 1993.
The lighthouse is on the northern point of Moreton Island. On the west side of the island is Tangalooma, which was also once home to Queensland's first and only whaling station from 1952 to 1962. It now functions as a small and popular resort.
Situated near the lighthouse is the Moreton Island National park information centre, which has a great source on information on the island's history.
Experiences you can enjoy:
Moreton Island, Moreton Island,
Eat & Drink