In an explosive Brisbane Festival finale, Sunsuper Riverfire ignites the Brisbane City skyline for a spectacular fireworks display on Saturday, 27 September. Extensive road closures will affect The City, South Bank, West End, Kangaroo Point and Fortitude Valley.
Victoria Bridge traffic lanes (except TransLink’s busway) will close to vehicles between 4pm and 10.30pm. Traffic lanes will become available for pedestrian use between 5pm and 9.30pm. The western footpath of the Victoria Bridge (museum side) will be closed between 5pm and 9.30pm. The eastern footpath (South Bank side) remains open at all times.
The Goodwill and Kurilpa Bridges will close to all traffic (pedestrian and cyclists) from 5pm to 7.30pm. The Story Bridge will be closed to all traffic and pedestrians between 6pm and 8pm. The eastern footpath (Dockside side) closes at these times but the western footpath (City side) closes earlier – from 2am on Friday, 26 September, and reopens later, at 8.30pm on Saturday, 27 September.
Bowen Tce, Fortitude Valley, will close between the Story Bridge and Bowen St between 6.30pm and 8.30pm. Local streets linking Brunswick St and Bowen Tce will be closed between 6.30pm and 8.30pm, with access open only to local residents.
- Measures have been introduced to alleviate congestion and improve safety in the Story Bridge and Kangaroo Point precincts.
Story Bridge Precinct
- No parking will be permitted all day on both sides of Main St between Baildon and Holman Sts, with a two-minute drop-off zone established on both sides of Main St between Mackenzie and Wicklow Sts. Any vehicles parked in this section of Main St will be towed.
- Holman St will be closed all day in Main St, with access permitted only for people with proof of residency. Any vehicles parked in Holman St will be booked and towed, except for those authorised as Brisbane Festival suppliers or belonging to emergency services.
Kangaroo Point Cliffs Precinct
- No parking will be permitted along River Tce all day. Offenders will be towed.
- River Tce at Main St, and Leopard St at Vulture St, will be closed between 4pm and 9.30pm.
- Local streets linking River Tce to Main St will be closed between 4pm and 9.30pm, with access open only to local residents.
- Both sets of pedestrian stairs up the Kangaroo Point Cliffs will be closed between 6.55pm and 7.30pm.
- The service road below the Kangaroo Point Cliffs will be closed at Captain Cook Bridge all day, except for authorised Brisbane Festival suppliers and emergency services vehicles.
Mt Coot-tha and Mt Gravatt Lookouts
- All traffic to the Mt Coot-tha Summit must travel counter clockwise along Sir Samuel Griffith Dr under police supervision from 4.30pm.
- The Mt Gravatt Lookout will be closed to all traffic at Shire Rd and Tenby St between 4pm and 9pm. Echidna Magic Restaurant guests will be granted access.
Access to car parks and facilities, South Bank Precinct
- No parking will be permitted along Grey St between Vulture St and the William Jolly Bridge all day on Saturday, 27 September.
- Colchester St closes all day between Ernest and Vulture Sts on Saturday, 27 September.
- Little Stanley St closes from midnight Thursday, 25 September, until 3pm on Sunday, 28 September.
- South Bank’s car park reaches full capacity early and no access is available between 7.15pm and 9.30pm. After 7.15pm, all vehicles exiting must leave via Tribune and Vulture Sts. Brisbane Festival recommends you take advantage of the additional public transport services in place for Sunsuper Riverfire.
- From 4pm, entry to the QPAC and Queensland Museum car parks will be available only from Stanley Place, near the State Library of Queensland. QPAC ticket-holders are reminded of the low clearance of 2.3m at this access point and should allow extra travel time.
- Access to Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre car parks is via Merivale St.
For the latest information on road, bridge and river closures, alternative traffic routes and parking restrictions for Sunsuper Riverfire, tune in to 104.5 Triple M on the day or visit the Brisbane Festival website.