Brisbane's German Story Greets
Willkommen to Brisbane!
It’s that time of year again - it's Oktoberfest Brisbane time - and time to embrace your inner German!
Did you know that this is Australia's largest German Festival?
This festival 6-8 & 13-15 October brings together all lovers of German fun, food and culture over the second and third weekend of October. Oktoberfest Brisbane is one of the top 10 Oktoberfests outside Germany - as voted by National Geographic Traveler - and transforms the heart of Brisbane into an authentic German town festival.
Brisbane Greeters are proud supporters of Oktoberfest Brisbane.
Willkommen to Nundah!
As part of this year's Oktoberfest Brisbane, the Brisbane Greeters have developed a rather special "Brisbane's German Story" Greeter Trail experience around Nundah, the place where some of Brisbane's very first German families and settlers lived - Brisbane's German Story begins here!
What are some of the Brisbane's German Story greet itinerary highlights?
- Spectacular station and street art around Nundah commemorating the Lutheran Missionaries and their relationship with the local Aborigines;
- The First Free Settlers Monument, German Australian Friendship Plaque and heritage trail that drops crumbs about curious characters and little-known facts;
- A visit to the German Bakery where you may choose to indulge in a delicious German Brezel or Strudel;
- A stroll through the village of Nundah with various points of interest explained, including a World War II bomb shelter and the war memorial featuring a World War I German Krupp field gun;
- St Paul's Lutheran Church - learn about why there are two differing styles of pews;
- A walk to and across what was once German Station;
- A reflective and fascinating experience at the Nundah Cemetery that reveals so much about some of Brisbane and Queensland's earliest settlers.
Nundah has been fast developing a reputation as a vibrant and eclectic suburb with up-to-the-minute fashion and cafe culture to suit all tastes. With a mix of contemporary and historical inspiration, Nundah is establishing itself as an aspirational destination to live, work and visit.
Immerse yourself in Nundah with the Brisbane Greeters!
When do the Brisbane's German Story Greets start and how long will they be offered for? The Brisbane's German Story Greets start the week before Oktoberfest Brisbane and will run during Oktoberfest Brisbane - and for five weeks after Oktoberfest Brisbane.
There will be one greet offered per day at 10.30am (greets run up to four hours - excluding travel time to and from Nundah - the meeting place is on Nundah Railway Station - your greeter will meet you there). Greeters accommodate up to six visitors per greet. The Brisbane's German Story Greets will run seven days a week.
Directions and travel time from Central Railway Station Brisbane:
The Brisbane's German Story Greets depart from Nundah Railway Station. Travel time from Brisbane's Central Railway station to Nundah Railway Station is 16 minutes.
From Central Train Station, you can catch the "Caboolture Line" or the "Shorncliffe Line". For more information, visit http://translink.com.au/. You can also use the journey planner to take you from your doorstep to Nundah's Railway Station.
Book your Oktoberfest Nundah Greet now. You can access the booking form here.
If you are experiencing issues with our booking form, please contact us via email at [email protected] or by phone +61 7 3156 6364.