Things you can't miss at South Bank's Christmas celebrations
Christmas is in the air at South Bank from the 20 - 23 December. Intricately displayed lights weave through the renowned arbour trail, the precinct is awash with tones of red and white and the atmosphere is buzzing with festive joy. With an abundance of premium events and activities taking place in the iconic Parklands, be sure to add these unmissable moments to your Christmas itinerary.
1. This Christmas season, South Bank Piazza will be home to the Carols Extravaganza - an exciting Christmas production featuring film, song, dance and a visit from Santa himself! From acrobatic aerialists to serene ballet compositions and show stopping vocals, this show is guaranteed to ignite excitement and nostalgia for the “Most Wonderful Time of the Year”.
The Carols Extravaganza will feature 8 jubilant shows across 4 evenings, running twice nightly at 6.45pm and 8.30pm. Tickets for the Carols Extravaganza are $5, with free entry for children 2 years and under if seated on a caregiver’s lap. Tickets are limited and can be purchased from QTIX via qtix.com.au/qtix/event/carols_extravaganza_19 or please call 136 246.
2. In the lead up to Christmas, South Bank Parklands becomes a celebratory hub, with shimmering fireworks whizzing, dancing and bursting above nightly from 8.00pm until 8:15pm.
Head to the Clem Jones Promenade for the most sought after views of the Fireworks Spectacular presented by eatSouthBank. Other popular viewing locations include Streets Beach and River Quay. Please note that unlike alternative firework displays throughout the year, these fireworks are best viewed from South Bank. To ensure safe crowd flow, chairs and other types of portable seating are not permitted on the Clem Jones Promenade.
3. Pay a visit to Santa’s Stop Over at Flowstate from 5.00pm until 9.00pm and watch Santa Claus as he spreads his Christmas cheer over South Bank Parklands from his brightly lit abode. Little ones will have the opportunity to get a photograph with Santa, set among a magnificent towering fig tree and light installation.
4. Just across the way, from 4.00pm until 7.30pm storytelling and crafts will entertain children at Flowstate Lawns. Here, kids will have the opportunity to create their very own Koala crown, complete with a Santa hat - celebratory of Australia’s summer festive spirit.
5. Wind down into the Christmas season with Festive Beats at South Bank Parklands, taking place at Streets Beach, River Quay, Rainforest Green and Little Stanley Street Lawns.
Round up your loved ones for an evening of live performances from 4.00pm until 10.00pm. Listen to the smooth vocals of emerging local artists as they serenade punters with original tunes and cheerful Christmas covers.
Get in early to lounge on the provided seating or pack a picnic and sprawl across South Bank’s green lawns as you take in the festive beats and Brisbane’s signature alfresco setting.
6. South Bank Parklands will come to life at night this Christmas, as shimmering festoons hang from above and brightly wrapped trees glow against the night sky. Meander through the renowned arbour trail as it transforms into a twinkling tunnel full of sparkling fairy lights - creating the perfect photo moment!
7. The Collective Markets will return to their home on Little Stanley Street and Stanley Street Plaza, showcasing a wealth of Christmas gifts and bites by independent retailers, unique to South Bank.
The Collective Markets will take place from 13 to 19 December from 10.00am until 9.00pm, and from 20 to 23 December will undertake extended trading hours until 10.00pm.
8. Combine a trip to South Bank with a theatrical experience! A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, produced by Shake n Stir Theatre Co will return to the QPAC Playhouse stage from 29 November – 15 December. Starring acclaimed actors, live music, carolling, video and mesmerising costumes - this show is a festive feast not to be missed! Tickets available from qpac.com.au
9. Celebrate the true meaning and joy of the Christmas season at QPAC’s Concert Hall from 20 – 21 December. Watch on as traditional yuletide performances take to the stage, featuring soaring vocals, complimented by a magnificent full orchestra. Tickets available from qpac.com.au
South Bank’s Christmas celebrations will take place every evening from 20 - 23 December 2019. All activities and events within the Parklands is free, except for the Carols Extravaganza and QPAC performances.
Don’t forget to journey through The Enchanted Garden at Roma Street Parkland and experience one of Brisbane’s largest free lighting displays, taking place from 29 November to 13 December and open daily from 6.00pm until 9.30pm with last entry at 9.15pm.
For complete details on Christmas celebrations in the City, Roma Street Parkland and South Bank Parklands, please head to the Christmas in Brisbane homepage.