Things to do at South Bank
Scenic views, an abundance of eateries, iconic landmarks and tranquil spaces – whether you’re looking to fill an entire weekend or just a couple of hours, Brisbane’s favourite precinct has got you covered.
1. Pack a spread, your favourite sundowner and while away the afternoon at one of South Bank Parklands’ licensed greenspaces. For extra ambience, time your South Bank venture to coincide with live music at The Sound Society or Sunday Social on the Green at River Quay.
2. Climb aboard a CityCat or Brisbane’s free CityHopper for a picturesque inner-city river ride.
3. Visit a micro-brewery – The Charming Squire brews their own beer on site; enjoyed best when paired with a bite from their comforting pub-inspired menu.
4. Pop down to GOMA, Brisbane’s very own renowned art gallery and be captivated by their residency exhibit, which change throughout the year.
5. Grab a coffee from Nonna's Deli, Garage or Lost Bean and meander the famous Arbour, adorned with bright pink and purple bougainvillea flowers.
6. Treat yourself to a sugar high at one of South Bank’s dessert cafes; Cowch, or Max Brenner.
7. Stop by the Queensland Maritime Museum to see the heritage-listed South Brisbane Dry Dock, the WW2 frigate HMAS Diamantina and more.
8. Soak up some sun or make a splash at South Bank Parklands’ free swimming facilities.
11. Round up your friends and throw a few ‘shrimps on the barbie’ at one of the precinct’s free barbeques.
Discover Sea Monsters through large casts, real fossils, models and interactives. Photo by Kate Pentecost. Courtesy of ANMM.
13. Visit the Queensland Museum and get educated on science, animals, history and culture.
14. Treat yourself to an Asian feast of bao buns, dumplings, curries and more at Viet de Lites, Harajuku Gyoza or Bamboo Basket.
15. Snap a selfie with South Bank’s iconic landmarks – the Brisbane Sign and the Nepalese Pagoda.
16. Feast your eyes upon South Bank Parkland’s Epicurious Garden, featuring fresh fruit, vegetables and herbs. Collect free samples from the harvest cart, which operates from 7am-11am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
18. Get cultured at one of QPAC’s year-round calendar of events, including musicals, theatre, ballet performances and much more.
19. Go burger crazy! South Bank has a host of restaurants featuring this worshiped culinary offering, including Brooklyn Depot, Bourbon Street, Burger Urge and Fritzenberger.
22. Stop by South Bank Cineplex and enjoy the latest blockbusters in air-conditioned comfort. If you aren’t swayed yet, we guarantee you won’t find cheaper tickets in Brisbane!
23. Feeling fancy? South Bank offers a number of high- end eateries that won’t break the bank, including Tai Tai and GOMA Restaurant as well as River Quay’s stalwart eateries.
24. Whether its date night, girls night or after work drinks, you can find a tasty tipple at one of South Banks frequented bars, including Sangria Bar, Barbossa Bar and The Margarita Bar. For expansive, Brisbane City views, head to The Emporium’s Terrace Bar.
25. Take five in Jem, an art installation created by Australian design studio ENESS. Gem is also interactive and responds to people as they move around the steel structure via sound and light, making it a much loved activation for littlies!