Noise Management at South Bank Parklands
South Bank is a vibrant, mixed-use precinct, offering visitors an array of dining, event and tourism experiences year-round.
The Parklands are managed by City Parklands Services, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Brisbane City Council. Specifically, City Parklands manage parklands events, marketing and upkeep on behalf of Council and the Queensland Government.
South Bank Parklands has a bespoke noise policy that has been developed by independent third-party noise modelling experts in consideration of the Environmental Protection Act 1994 and its supporting policies and regulations.
This policy specifically addresses noise in the parklands. The parklands are surrounded by retail, residential and institutions that are not covered by this policy. In particular, Little Stanley Street, parts of Grey Street, and restaurants, bars and cafes in the parklands are separately managed by South Bank Corporation, a Queensland Government agency. Because of this separate management, please note that these areas are not covered by this policy. For information on these areas, please refer to their website at www.southbankcorporation.com.au
Key noise monitoring measures for events in the Parklands
City Parklands has developed the following measures to ensure appropriate noise practices during events, plus accurate and high-quality noise monitoring:
- Residents are notified about road closures and major events prior to their occurrence.
- Noise levels have been determined by specific acoustic noise modelling with consideration to speaker location, topography and building design to meet stipulated noise limits, rather than reliance on general provisions
- All events have a dedicated staff member onsite to monitor and record noise levels, to ensure compliance with the noise policy. The staff are trained to use certified and calibrated sound level monitoring equipment in accordance with Australian standards
- There is access to both (A) Leq and (C) Leq sound level data for real-time frequency analysis monitoring
- Weatherproof battery-powered sound level meter kits are used for long duration event noise recording in sensitive receiver locations i.e. residential balconies
- Archiving is completed for all event noise monitoring data. This allows accurate responses to any noise complaints received or compliance inspections
- All event setup must address speaker orientation, as this is critical to noise management. In general, site layouts should consider speakers being directed away from business and residential buildings.
Event noise timings
Considerations for noise in South Bank Parklands events spaces are summarised below. These have been determined from proximity to sensitive receptors (such as residents), as well as experience:
- Parklands-wide events: For major events such as New Year’s Eve and Riverfire, noise can be expected until after the last fireworks and reasonable time must be allowed for crowd dispersal. To allow for their difference in nature, noise limits are to be determined on an event by event basis.
- Cultural Forecourt: The Cultural Forecourt is a premier event space and is not in close proximity to residents. Noise limits are determined on an event by event basis.
- Liana Lounge: Events may take place between 7am and midnight.
- Rainforest Green: Events may take place between 7am and midnight.
- Riverside Open Space: Currently under construction, so no event noise policies have been determined yet.
- The South Bank Piazza: Events may take place between 7am and midnight. Time must be allowed for crowd dispersal.
- Boat Pool and Streets Beach: Events may take place between 7am and 10:30pm, except on New Year’s Eve which is permitted until 1am.
- Little Stanley Street Lawns: Events may take place between 7am and 10:30pm.
- Busker’s Pitch: Events may take place between 7am and 10:30pm. No amplified noise is permitted.
- Stanley Street Plaza: Events may take place between 7am and 10:30pm.
- Flowstate (pavilion and lawns): Events may take place between 7am and midnight.
- Picnic Island Green: Generally, events may take place between 10am and 7pm. However, eight events per year may take place between 10am to 10:30pm. There shall be a break in amplified noise for 15 minutes in every hour.
- River Quay Green: Generally, events may take place between 10am and 7pm. However, eight events per year may take place between 10am to 10:30pm. There shall be a break in amplified noise for 15 minutes in every hour.
- Epicurious Garden: Events may take place between 10am and 7pm.
Construction noise in South Bank Parklands is permitted between 6:30am to 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday, consistent with the Environmental Protection Act 1994 and supporting policies and regulations. Noise is not to be generated on Sundays or public holidays.
Maintenance activities are those which are undertaken on a regular basis with the purpose of maintaining the fabric of the parkland. Noise from maintenance is permitted from 7am-7pm Monday to Saturday and from 8am to 7pm on Sundays and public holidays.
Who to contact
If your feedback is in relation to an event in the Parklands, general Parklands maintenance (lawn mowing, leaf blowing etc), please email City Parklands Services on [email protected] or call security on 07 3867 2045.
If your feedback is in relation to an event on Little Stanley Street, the footpath on Little Stanley and Grey Streets, road closures on Little Stanley Street/Grey Street/Tribune Street (between Merivale Street and the Parklands)/Ernest Street (between Merivale Street and the Parklands)/Glenelg Street (between Merivale Street and the Parklands), Riverside Open Space construction or waste removal from the bin rooms on Little Stanley Street, please contact South Bank Corporation on 07 3867 2000 or [email protected]
If your feedback is in relation to noise from a licensed venue, please contact the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation on 13 74 68 or [email protected]
If your feedback is about an illegally parked car, delivery vehicles or roads other than those mentioned above in the South Bank Corporation section, please contact Brisbane City Council on 07 3403 8888.
If your feedback is in relation to a security issue, please contact South Bank’s security team 24/7 on 07 3867 2045 or [email protected]